Boxing is one of the most famous sports in the world since it consists of taking the body of the participating athletes to a certain point of preparation, this preparation is a great hard and difficult job.
So I will explain how to make a homemade punch bag and you can follow your training from your home or a place that is comfortable for training.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Make a Homemade Punch Bag
- 2 What is boxing and how is it practiced?
- 3 What is and how professional Boxing works?
- 4 What should be taken into account Before a boxing match?
- 5 Benefits of using a punching bag for your training
How to Make a Homemade Punch Bag
- Select a cover or lining, these can be of different materials that can be canvas, leather, vinyl or synthetic leather. To reduce expenses we can use an old army duffel bag since it is a hard and resistant canvas.
- In this step we must look for the material that will exert the weight in the bag, we can search from sand or sawdust and the approximate amount to use is 23 kilos. Before putting it on the canvas, we must wrap the material with a strong plastic that allows cylindrical shape. This will cause the punching bag to avoid spreading or bursting with blows.
- In this step we must align the bag, this we will achieve with a layer of foam rubber to prevent the formation of balloons inside the bag.
- At the bottom of the bag, we must fill it with some material, we can use foam rubber, old clothes or some fabric that we do not use, this should make the bag fit and not loose so that the blows feel safe and compact.
- We close the bag through closure or by cooking it, for safety we must cover the opening area with a magic strip or closure.
- At the top of the bag, we must place some chain or hook that allows us to garnish the bag.
Or If you want to buy a punching bag. I recently published a guide. You can read here.
What is boxing and how is it practiced?
The boxing or also known as English boxing, fighting is a sport in which participants fight only using hands or fists are on the gloves.
The blows of this sport must be done from the waist down, all this is done in an official arena called quadrilateral that is fully designed for the practice of this sport. Each boxing match is divided into different rounds that go according to regulation, this regulation also regulates the categories by weight and the amount of round that will be carried out in the match
Unlike other combat sports such as kickboxing, muay Thai or Thai boxing that can be used on any part of the body, boxing only uses the hands wrapped in protective bandages and regulatory gloves.
The first code that regulates the rules of boxing dates back to the years 1743, while the rules that are in force fires imposed in the year 1889 and the author of these was John Sholto Douglas better known as the Marques Queensberry (born in Scotland and creator of the current rules of boxing).
What is and how professional Boxing works?
In professional boxing the fights are much longer than the semi-professional fights, normally fights ranging from 10 to 12 rounds are carried out, at the beginning of the 20th century the rounds were unlimited and the fighting was over when one of the two combatants surrendered or was not in a position to continue the fight.
In the same twentieth-century fights were established up to fifteen rounds when from the 80s the matches for championships were lowered to a maximum of 12 rounds to protect the participant. Head protections are not allowed for what is professional and official combat allowing the participant to receive many more hits before the fight stops. At any time the referee of the fight can finish it if the combination of blows of a combatant cannot be defended by the other participant either because of an injury or because he falls by technical knockout.
A technical knockout is determined by a specialist doctor and it is when a participant receives a cut that can be dangerous and the bleeding is not stopped. The fighters have in their corners people who will help them to win the fight and they will also have specialized people to treat their wounds, stop the bleeding if they have any cuts, this will be done between each assault so that the boxer can continue the fight. If the corner of a fighter decides to stop the fight, the opponent will be awarded a technical knockout.
Actions not allowed in boxing
- Hit in the neck sector.
- Blows directed behind the head.
- Turn your back on the opponent (a sign of mockery)
- Stumble on the contrary.
- Low blows are to say blows that go below the belt or combat shorts.
- Give intentional headers.
- Make use of any object other than the regulatory gloves.
What should be taken into account Before a boxing match?
Participants must attend beforehand to be weighed and must be in the weight established by the category that corresponds to them. If the fighter is not in the weight he will not be qualified to participate in the fight.
Boxers must fight without any jewelry, this will be done by the event staff or by the referee himself. It is also important to check the gloves as items that benefit the fighter can be hidden.
This element is an oil or grease that is applied to the face of the fighter, particularly in the eyebrows and cheekbones of the boxer, since they are areas where there can be a cut with ease and this element allows the blows to slide easily.
Each fighter will warm up the way he wants, each boxer will want to warm up both physically and mentally so he will have a time set aside before the fight for his preparation, they can warm the muscles through massages by his technologist or throwing blows to the air to enter heat and concentration.
Benefits of using a punching bag for your training
The punching bag allows you to practice movements, perfect movements or blows, strengthen muscles and sensitize bones and skin.
in first stage movements or blows are performed that will be supervised under-qualified or experienced personnel, until the gestures are perfected.
It consists of repeating the movements until perfecting them and being able to perform them without the supervision of a person.
This is about hardening the muscles of the body through a large repetition of movements.
Depending on what you want to define or practice the bags may be harder to strengthen muscles. And grip strength along with power in each stroke, less heavy and less hard bags allow you to work the speed of each stroke and movement. Logically, training with the punching bag improves cardiovascular endurance.
Boxing is a sport in which training is very important and discipline is also important, for them if you are going to dedicate yourself to practice this sport you can build your punching bag of homemade boxing and start training from home or wherever you prefer.